Layritiz Nursery was a horticultural and greenhouse business founded by Richard Layritz (1867-1954) in Victoria, British Columbia. It was formed in the 1890’s and was, far many years, the leading supplier of plants in the Victoria area.
Its main nursery was located along Wilkinson Road near the intersection with Carey Road.
Jennie Butchart told an interviewer in 1932 that her first horticultural purchases for her gardens at Tod Inlet were some Caroline Testout roses purchased from Layritz Nursery.
Layritz Nursery was one of Jennie Butchart’s main suppliers of plant for her gardens at Tod Inlet, which are now the Butchart Gardens.
Part of the former Layritz Nursery land along Wilkinson Road near Carey Road is now Layritz Park. It was donated to the Municipality of Saanich by Richard Layritz on condition it be made a park in perpetuity.
Here is a map showing the location of Layritz Park:
Here are some websites with more information on Layritz Nursery:
- Times Colonist – 2014
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?