Sir Frank Stillman Barnard’s house, Clovelly, was designed by architect Samuel Maclure.
Isaburo Kishida, who designed the Japanese Garden at Butchart Gardens, also designed a Japanese Garden for Sir Frank Stillman Barnard on the grounds of Clovelly.
Unfortunately Clovelly was demolished in 1960 and nothing remains of the house or its Japanese Garden. The former grounds of Clovelly are now a City of Victoria park known as Barnard Park.
Here is a map showing the location of Barnard Park:
Here is a Google Street View image of the entrance to Barnard Park entrance off Barnard Avenue, which was once the driveway to Clovelly:
Here are links to some historic photographs of Clovelly:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M10200 – cited as circa 1903
- BC Archives photo D-00328 – circa 1920
- BC Archives photo B-01795 – circa 1912
- BC Archives photo B-04580 – 1951
- BC Archives photo B-01963 – Lady Barnard, circa 1925, at Clovelly
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?