26 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario
26 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario was the head office of Edward Rogers Wood, who used this address as the corporate head office of many companies he controlled, including the Vancouver Portland Cement Company.
In 1907, when Edward Rogers Wood incorporated a new Vancouver Portland Cement Company under the federal Companies Act of 1906 and moved the assets of the original Vancouver Portland Cement Company, incorporated under British Columbia provincial legislation in April 1904, into the new federally incorporated Vancouver Portland Cement Company [see Chapter 4 of our Butchart Gardens History for more details], he also moved the head office of the Vancouver Portland Cement Company from the Board of Trade Building in downtown Victoria to his own office at 26 King Street East in Toronto.
The Alberta Portland Cement Company, which was set up by Edward Rogers Wood and Senator George Albertus Cox in 1907, also had its head office at 26 King Street East.
The building Edward Rogers Wood owned at 26 King Street has long since been demolished. An image of it appears below:
Here is a 1904 advertisement for the Central Canada Loan & Savings Company – Senator George Albertus Cox, President and Edward Rogers Wood, Vice President and Managing Director – located at 26 King Street East, Toronto.
Here is a map showing the location of 26 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario:
Here is a Google Street View image of 26 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario as it now appears:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?