James Edward Murphy
James Edward Murphy became a shareholder of the Owen Sound Portland Cement Company in 1895, when he purchased $5000 of company shares.
The 1895 Owen Sound Portland Cement Company Corporate Return, filed with the Ontario government in February 1896, describes “Murphy, J.E.” as a “Saw Miller” from Hepworth, Ontario, about 22 kilometers northwest of Owen Sound, in neighbouring Bruce County.
James Edward Murphy was immediately appointed a Director of the Owen Sound Portland Cement Company, a position he kept until 1897, when he became Vice-President of the Owen Sound Portland Cement Company.
James Edward Murphy became President of the Owen Sound Portland Cement Company in 1902 and seems to have kept that position until the Owen Sound Portland Cement Company was taken over by the Canada Cement Company in 1909.
In 1900, James E. Murphy traveled to British Columbia, where he purchased the land around Tod Inlet which later became the site of the Vancouver Portland Cement Company factory and, after that, the Butchart Gardens.
In April 1904, James E. Murphy was appointed Vice-President of the newly incorporated Vancouver Portland Cement Company, formed for the purpose of manufacturing Portland cement at Tod Inlet on land which is now part of the Butchart Gardens.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?