The Imperial Munitions Board was established in Canada in November 1915 by the British Ministry of Munitions.
The Imperial Munitions Board was directed to assist Canadian industry in producing munitions for the British war effort in the First World War. The Imperial Munitions Board was authorized to enter into contracts with Canadian firms for the production, purchase or acquisition of munitions and supplies for the British military.
Robert Butchart served under Joseph Flavelle as Director of Wooden Shipbuilding for the Imperial Munitions Board. As Director of Wooden Shipbuilding, Robert Butchart maintained an office on the 3rd floor of the Belmont Building in downtown Victoria.
Here are some pages with more information on the Imperial Munitions Board:
Following the end of the First World War in November 1918, the Imperial Munitions Board was dissolved in 1919.
Here is a photo of the War Tango, the 27th of the Standard Wooden Steamers built for the Imperial Munitions Board in B.C. shipyards under the direction of Robert Butchart, as Director of Wooden Shipbuilding, and his Assistant Director of Wooden Shipbuilding, Captain James W. Troup.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?